Bariatric surgery is one of the most effective treatment to eliminate obesity and excessive weight-related serious health issues. Surgeries are performed by obesity surgeons around the world. Patients living in America and Europe countries, as well as Middle Eastern countries, prefer weight loss surgery abroad due to advantageous conditions.
Which countries are popular in obesity surgery?
Turkey is a popular country for weight loss surgery abroad. Turkey is popular in bariatric surgery for its experienced surgeons and health personnel, private clinic and hospital equipment, advanced medical equipment and sensitivity in aftercare.
What are weight loss surgery procedures abroad?
All types of weight loss surgery procedures are successfully performed abroad. Main procedure performed in a hospital environment by an expert obesity surgeon and team are as follows:
- Sleeve Gastrectomy: In sleeve gastrectomy, a large portion (approximately 80%) of the stomach is removed with surgery. A small tube-shaped stomach is left behind. Since the stomach is smaller, patients eat less and feel fuller with less calorie intake. There is no need to change intestine and it is performed with the laparoscopic method. This way, the complication risk is lower and recovery is faster. Therefore, it is commonly preferred in recent years.
- Gastric Bypass: Gastric bypass procedure is one of the most common bariatric surgery. This procedure has high success rates and it is based on changing both the stomach and small intestine. The stomach becomes smaller and food absorption from the small intestine is decreased by making a shorter path. This enables the patient to feel fuller with less food and less calorie.
- Gastric Band: In this laparoscopic method, the stomach is divided into two with a special band. The upper part of the stomach is left small so that the food first comes here, then passes to the bottom and digests it. Thus, patients feel full and lose weight by eating less after this operation.
- Revisional obesity surgery: Revisional obesity surgeries can be performed for patients who have had bariatric surgery once, but have not achieved successful results.
In addition to these three methods, gastric balloon procedure that does not require a surgical operation can be listed among the options. The stomach balloon, which is placed in the stomach with an endoscopic method and can stay in the stomach for 6 months to 1 year, enables the patient to lose weight by eating with less food.
What are the criteria for surgery?
People who want to have weight loss surgery abroad must meet some criteria.
- Patients with body mass index (BMI) more than 40 morbid obese patients,
- Patients with body mass index between 35-40 obese patients,
- Patients with type 2 diabetes or other serious obesity-related diseases can choose bariatric surgical procedures.
But in addition to these criteria, patients must have tried other methods but did not have successful results.
What is the process after surgery?
Patients who have abroad weight loss surgery can be discharged in 2 or 3 days.
Patients start a special eating and care program prepared by the surgeon and dietitian after the surgery. This process includes a gradual transition from liquid food to solid food. In addition to that, the surgeon might recommend certain medications, vitamin, mineral and protein supplements depending on the surgery type.
Solid foods are consumed after the 2nd month.
Heavy physical activity and movement are not recommended in the first weeks.
After the surgery, some patients might have pain. Therefore, the surgeon might prescribe painkillers in this period.
After gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy surgeries which are among the most preferred surgical procedures, patients can go back to work after 2 or 3 weeks depending on whether their job requires heavy physical movement.
Full recovery is complete in a few months.
Periodical surgeon control is required after weight loss surgery abroad and patients must adhere to these controls. Some private clinics follow the patients in the first 5 years after the surgery.
On the other hand, patients can always consult their surgeon and health team when they have any questions. These services are often free.
Contact between the patient and surgeon and visiting the surgeon for follow-up is important for permanent weight loss after the surgery.